We have been having fun with Top Ten Tuesday, so we decided we will do one every week. This bookish meme was hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, and has been going since June 2010! Since January 2018 Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.
This week’s topic is Things That Make Me Pick Up a Book. I don’t know if I will be able to think of ten, but let’s see how far I can get!
1. Cover I know… we’re not supposed to judge a book by its cover! Sometimes a cover just jumps out at you though. There have been quite a few books I’ve bought because of the cover alone. That can be disappointing, but sometimes it really works out. An example of a cover buy for me is City of Ghosts. I didn’t know what the book was about at first, but thought it looked stunning!
2. Sypnopsis The description/blurb of a book can also be very important. A few paragraphs is all we get when we want to know what a book is about. That can also really make or break a book! Sometimes the blurb makes you want to read the book right away.
3. Auto-buy authors If I love an author, I end up pciking up a book they right even without knowing what it’s about. Authors that have made this list: Cassandra Clare, Sarah J Maas, Jennifer L. Armentrout, Marissa Meyer, V.E. Schwab, Jay Kristoff, Amanda Bouchet and so many more!
4. Friends Recommend Books I have a really fun group of bookish friends and if they really enjoy a book or tell me that they think I will love something, there’s a big chance I will pick it up! They haven’t proved me wrong yet!
5. Facebook Book Groups I am a mod in the TBR & Beyond Book Club and since joining that group I have bought a lot of books, haha. There are monthly group reads and because of that I have picked up quite a few books I wouldn’t have picked up without them. They’ve gotten me out of my comfort zone many times and I have found amazing authors to keep an eye on! Here is the April schedule with our group reads!
6. Bloggers Reading reviews, Top Ten Tuesdays and other bookish posts has also made me buy books before. Not only when bloggers really love something, but also when they don’t love something. When they explain in their review why they love something or don’t (and that’s a reason I would love a book), I add them to my wishlist!
7. Bookstagram Same as with bloggers, seeing posts on Instagram about books has caused me to pick up quite a few books. Social media is a dangerous place for my wallet, haha.
I think I’m going to stick at seven things. I could add more, but then it would just be a reason that can easily be connected to the first seven that I have already talked about. What makes you pick up a book? Let me know in the comments and feel free to leave your own TTT link!