We have been having fun with Top Ten Tuesday, so we decided we will do one every week. This bookish meme was hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, and has been going since June 2010! Since last January Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.
This week’s topic is favorite Novellas/Short Stories. I had to think long and hard about this one! In the end, I was able to think of a list!
1. The Assassin and the Desert A list like this can’t exsist without at least one of the short stories Sarah J. Maas gave us in the Throne of Glass series. Celaena has to travel to the desert to train. She thinks this will be easy and she will be back home in no time. Celaena learned her lesson thinking that. I loved how you saw her change and take the training seriously. It wasn’t what she expected, but something she needed.
2. The Assassin and the Empire This novella is such an important part of this series. It still breaks my heart every time I read it. The Assassin and the Empire is the start of the series Throne of Glass. Without this moment, Celaena wouldn’t have been the character we know and love. Sarah J. Maas is such an amazing writer and I love how much of this story she already had planned out.
3. So Much More Alabama Summer by J. Daniels is one of my favorite romance series. All of the men are swoon-worthy and leave you wanting more. So Much more is a part of the anthology Eye Candy and it came out around Halloween. I can’t believe I waited so long to read this! All of the characters are going out for Halloween and we read from the men’s POV. The only thing I didn’t like was these little peeks into the characters’ lives again is that it made me want more. I don’t think I will ever have enough of them!
4. The End Zone This is a short story and a friend to lovers romance. I had never read anything by this author, but I want to read more now. As a fan of sports romances, I definitely recommend this book. There are plenty of sweet and romantic moments! The main female character is also a nerd, so it’s very easy to relate to her. I was kind of sad it was a short story that belonged in an anthology. These characters deserve a full book!
5. The Young Queens With Three Dark Crowns and One Dark Throne being favorites of mine, I was very excited that Kendare Blake would be releasing novellas. Three Dark Crowns starts with the sisters turning 16, so we missed a lot of backstory. The Young Queen kind of fills us in on how they grew up and the different things they experienced. I have to say after reading this, I understood the characters a bit better.
6. The Oracle Queen This is another novella in the Three Dark Crowns series, but this time about the last Oracle Queen. Stories said she was mad, but reading this makes you realize things didn’t go quite the way we think they did. Even though this was in the past, I have a feeling things we learned in this novella are going to be important in the next two books we are getting in this series.
7.The Bed Mate Kendall Ryan is a favorite of mine (which you will know, if you have followed the blog for awhile). Her Roommates series is really a lot of fun, so I had to read this novella. Once again, she didn’t disappoint! This novella takes place just after Christmas and the main character is a big fan of that holiday just like me. This friends to lovers romance is definitely one you need to read.
8. Shadows LUX is one of my favorite series. It gets close to Harry Potter and that says a lot, haha! Shadows is the novella before everything starts with Daemon and Katy. We find out what Dawson went through and what happens before he “disappears”. I think it’s a very important part of the story. I’m hoping to reread this series before the spinoff (The Darkest Star) comes out later this year.
9. Bad Romeo Christmas I loved the Bad Romeo trilogy. Another set of books I couldn’t get enough of. The author was kind enough to give is three novellas set around Christmas. Seeing how I love Christmas and like to set my TBR up with nothing but Christmas books, this book came right on time. It’s fun seeing the characters dealing with the holidays, their relationships and parents.
10. The Proposal Cam and Avery were my favorite couple in Jennifer L. Armentrouts’s Wait for You series. At least, they are so farl. I still need to read a few of the books. I know it’s not always realistic, but I am a big fan of happily ever afters. The Proposal was a moment just like that. Reading this novella left me with a smile on my face!
I’m surprised I actually managed to make a list of 10, haha. What is your favorite short story/novella?