We have been having fun with these Top Ten Tuesdays, so we decide we will do one every week. This bookish meme was hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, and has been going since June 2010! Starting this January Top Ten Tuesday will be hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.
This week’s topic is frequently used words in a certain genre/age group. I have to say this one doesn’t seem fun to me. Just sitting here thinking about it for a few minutes, I can’t really think of anything. So I have decided to look through the old topics we didn’t participate in yet and choose an old one. I have decided to do my top ten books of this year so far!
At the moment, I have read 69 books, so I should hope there are at least ten amazing books (I know there are plenty of good ones, haha). These aren’t in any particular order and they aren’t the only amazing books I have read.
1. Tuesdays at Six This was one of my first reads this year and it was amazing. Tuesdays at Six was heartbreaking, but the end of the book puts you back together again. It’s definitely proof that family isn’t always blood and that life can go in very unexpected ways. Sometimes you need things you don’t know you need.
2. My Lady Jane This book is SO good!! I had it on my shelf since December 2016 and after reading it, I was very upset that it took me so long to read it. A book that good should’ve been picked up right away. My Lady Jane had me laughing out loud. I loved the take on history and how they put a fun twist to it. I think the only good thing about me waiting so long to read this is I don’t have to wait too long for the next book.
3. The Trails of Morrigan Crow I haven’t read much middle grade and I wouldn’t have known about this book if there wasn’t a readalong in a Facebook group I belong to (TBR and Beyond). This book was compared to Harry Potter, so that was an automatic want to read. It wasn’t a rip off in any sense and I loved Nevermoor. I can’t wait for the next book.
4. Crazy Madly Deeply I think this book makes this list, because it was so much different than I expected. This isn’t the typical story of the bad boy getting the good girl. The bad boy isn’t that bad and the good girl is coming to realize her world isn’t all that it seems.
5. Obsidio This is the last installment of The Illuminae Files. Illuminae and Gemina were amazing, so this was definitely an anticipated release for me this year and it didn’t disappoint. It was more brutal than the previous two books, but it was really good. I’m sad to see this trilogy end, because I love the unique way these stories are told.
6. The Promised One At first I didn’t know anything about this book, until the author contacted me to ask me if I wanted to read and review. The book sounded really interesting, so I said yes. It was so good! I loved the concept that even when the main character couldn’t remember his true love, his heart still did. This is definitely a book everyone should read.
7. This Savage Song This book has been on my shelves for ages and I have heard amazing things, but never got around to reading it. A group read helped me along and I was upset that it took me so long to read. The concept of monsters that come to life after tragedy and can take souls from sinners through music is really interesting. Especially when this “monster” would do anything to be human. It was also a breath of fresh air that there was no romance between the two main characters. Only friendship and that doesn’t happen often in YA.
8. The Wicked Deep This is a pretty recent release and it’s so good! The idea of three witches who were drowned, but now come back every summer to haunt a small town is really interesting. This book was really well written and I couldn’t put it down. I’m only kind of sad that I didn’t wait to read this book around Halloween; it would’ve been the perfect time.
9. Blue Lily, Lily Blue It’s been taking me too long to finish this series, haha. It’s so good. I love how this author created this unique world and how everything constantly comes together without you realizing that it’s possible. At this moment I’m halfway through the fourth and final book and I hope to finish soon. I have the habit of reading a lot of books at once, so sometimes it takes me some time, haha.
10. The Exact Opposite of Okay This is such an amazing book, with such a great message!! It really shows how society works these days. Guys can sleep with as many women as they want and it isn’t really frowned upon and if a girl does it, it’s seen as wrong and she gets looked at differently for it. On top of an amazing book, the author is so sweet!!
So these are my top ten books of 2018 so far. I know some of them will definitely stay in my top ten, but I definitely hope to read a lot more amazing books this year! What is one of your favorites so far this year?